Wednesday, September 24, 2008

SU Football's Dunce of the Day

Has it really gotten to the point where we have to appoint someone that has anything to do with the Syracuse Football program with the "Dunce of the Day" award?

Every, SINGLE day I wake up and think to myself, "Okay... Now, SERIOUSLY, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY the football program/Dr. Gross/G-Rob situation could be ANY WORSE!

But, ALAS... it is...

"The thing I really like is Daryl is very up front about that. Nobody is going around giving excuses." - Nancy Cantor


That's Nancy Cantor's statement today in a story by Donnie Webb concerning the football programs inability to keep up with (get ready for this) the Syracuse Cross Country team, or their newly acquired Women's Ice Hockey team.

Well... I, for one, am completely relieved that Dr. Gross is taking care of those two tradition-rich programs!

I digress for a moment, however, to address just how dumb Cantor sounds when she makes statements like the one above (or any statement at all for that matter). If making and unsolicited call to ESPN to whine about how good of a job you're doing in the sports NO ONE CARES ABOUT COMPARED TO FOOTBALL isn't an excuse... then please, comment at the end of this post and tell me what is! The whole justification of giving Gross a contract extension is an excuse that reflects the football situation.

However, I tried some of Gross' tactics and they worked. For instance, I just told one of my professors that I'm not coming to class for the rest of the semester. You know what I told him? That I'm doing such a great job in my yoga and pottery classes, that he should ignore the fact I won't be doing ANYTHING for him the rest of the year. Using Nancy Cantors logical thinking, he gave me three A's instead of just one because I "didn't make excuses."

The article by Webb also cites how Gross stated:

"When I came into this situation, a lot of people were really upset about the old regime. But no one thought it could get worse, nor did I. We were all hoping for some success. We knew it wasn't going to happen right away. Sometimes when you have a coaching transition, there is a fallout with recruiting and those things aren't as stable as you want them to be. You know it takes a little while to grow properly. It takes a change in systems, all the dynamics were there that haven't clicked at all to the point we're not where we should be in year four. At the end of the day, it all falls on the athletic director."

Anyone else see whats wrong there? How about the fact that the first half of that quote is a lame, self-dignifying, self-satisfying, EXCUSE!? So, I didn't think it was possible, but Nancy Cantor is at least as intellectually inept as Greg Robinson. Sometimes I get the feeling that Dr. Gross goes home at night and cries. But he's not crying because he feels he's done a poor job, or because the football team has made him look like a fool. Instead, he's crying because he's stuck between two total blockheads, that are making him look equally as foolish with everything they say.

1 comment:

b said...

Cantor needs to go..rather, be run out of 'Cuse. Football isn't on her agenda. U of Illinois fans seemed to be quite happy when she departed. Nice writing, keep the heat on.